Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
The purpose of Antimicrobial Stewardship at Terrebonne General Health System is to provide a collaborative, interdisciplinary system for the optimization of antibiotic use throughout the organization: improving drug selection, slowing the emergence of antimicrobial resistance, reducing antibiotic expenditures and improving patient outcomes. The program is based on the CDC Core Elements of Hospital Stewardship Programs, which includes:
- Hospital Leadership Commitment
- Pharmacy Expertise
The Antimicrobial Stewardship Team is led by a member of the Medical Staff. A certified pharmacist, preferably with an antimicrobial stewardship certification, is designated as the project leader. The team additionally consists of an interdisciplinary group with members of Infection Control, Administration, Lab, Nursing, Quality, and Information Technology.
The program utilizes an Infectious Disease Physician on a consultative basis. Additional direction is obtained from the team's interactions with the Medical Staff Performance Improvement Committee, Infection Control Committee, and the Performance Improvement and Safety Committee.
The Antimicrobial Stewardship Team will work collaboratively to improve patient care outcomes and safety through identification and analysis of antimicrobial use at Terrebonne General through: clinical interventions, guideline and protocol development, tracking and reporting systems, education and other clinical decision support tools and practices in order to improve antimicrobial drug utilization, reduce antimicrobial drug costs and decrease the emergence of antimicrobial resistance.
Terrebonne General Health System is committed to the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program. The Medical Executive Committee, the Executive Council and the Board of Commissioners are ultimately accountable for the program and delegate the responsibility for implementation to the Antimicrobial Stewardship Team.
The Antimicrobial Stewardship Team includes:
- Nicole McKee, M.D., Physician Leader
- Lacey Baudoin, Pharmacist, Project Leader
- Leslie Martin, PI/Regulatory Coordinator, Team Facilitator
- Teresita McNabb, Sr. VP of Clinical Services
- Cindy Duet, VP of Ancillary Services/ Administrative Representative
- Laura Melancon, Quality Director/ Quality Manager
- Toni Armstrong, 5N/3N Nurse Director
- Charlotte Boudreaux, Infection Control Manager
- Dana Jackson, Infection Control Nurse
- Mary Eschete, M.D., Infection Disease Physician Consultant
- Dawn Richard, Lab
- Angela Mathieu, Informatics Analyst, IT
340B Drug Prescription Program