Richard P. Abben, MD
- Position: Electrophysiologist, Interventional Cardiologist
- Primary Specialties: Cardiology (Board Certified), Electrophysiology
About Dr. Abben
Dr. Richard Abben is a Cardiologist at Terrebonne General Health System and Cardiovascular Institute of the South (CIS) in Houma, Louisiana. He is board-certified in Internal Medicine and Cardiovascular Diseases and is one of only a handful of physicians in the country who has completed subspecialty certification in both Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology and Interventional Cardiology.
Dr. Abben joined the staff of Cardiovascular Institute of the South in 1988 and currently is the Director of Cardiac Interventions and the Cardiac Arrhythmia Center.
He has broad experience in both interventional cardiology and cardiac electrophysiology and is a lecturer, researcher, and published author in both areas. Because of this experience and his long-term commitment to patient care, he has developed a large clinical practice while at CIS. He has particular expertise in cardiac rhythm devices, having been one of the South’s first implanters of a cardiac resynchronization (Biventricular) pacemaker in 1998. For twenty-five years, he directed an international interventional cardiology symposium entitled Principles and Perspectives in Interventional Cardiology, an annual venue that has consistently attracted the leading minds in interventional cardiology as faculty members.
On multiple occasions, he has been named by both Louisiana Life and New Orleans magazines as one of Louisiana's "Top Doctors.” Additionally, he has been recognized as a “Healthcare Hero” by New Orleans City Business magazine.
Rock Island, IL
- Medical School
Doctor of Medicine
University of Illinois Abraham Lincoln Medical School
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Board Certification
- American Board of Internal Medicine Cardiovascular Disease
- American Board of Internal Medicine Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- American Board of Internal Medicine Interventional Cardiology
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Physicians
- American Heart Association
- Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions
- Heart Rhythm Society